By Joseph Gelfer
21 December 2012 used to be believed to mark the tip of the 13th B'ak'tun cycle within the lengthy count number of the Mayan calendar. many folks believed this date to mark the top of the area or, not less than, a shift to a brand new type of international realization. analyzing how a lot of the phenomenon is predicated at the old checklist and what kind of is modern fiction, the ebook explores the panorama of the trendy apocalyptic mind's eye, the economics of the religious market, the commodification of countercultural values, and the cult of star.
Read Online or Download 2012: Decoding the Countercultural Apocalypse PDF
Similar technology books
A pragmatic instruction manual for chemists appearing bond forming reactions, this ebook positive factors necessary info at the synthesis of universal practical teams in natural chemistry.
- info glossy sensible crew synthesis via carbon-heteroelement (N, O, P, S, B, halogen) bond forming reactions with a spotlight on operational simplicity and sustainability. - Summarizes key and up to date advancements - that are another way scattered throughout magazine literature - right into a unmarried resource- includes over a hundred particular arrangements of universal practical teams- incorporated 25 troubleshooting publications with feedback and strength ideas to universal difficulties. - enhances the textual content in superior publication versions with educational video clips the place the writer presents an advent to microwave assisted chemistry.
A better half to American know-how is a groundbreaking choice of unique essays that study the hard-to-define phenomenon of вЂњtechnologyвЂќ in the USA. 22 unique essays by way of professional students disguise crucial positive aspects of yankee know-how, together with advancements in vehicles, tv, and computing Analyzes the ways that applied sciences are geared up, akin to within the engineering occupation, govt, medication and agriculture contains discussions of the way applied sciences have interaction with race, gender, type, and different organizing constructions in American society
Part casting has many layout merits, in particular whilst advanced geometries are required. there are various suggestions and demanding situations in generating effective casting designs, and this booklet acquaints readers with basic information regarding how casting layout affects casting solidification and the way casting solidification impacts casting houses.
- Applications of Computational Intelligence in Biomedical Technology
- Introduction to Advanced Food Process Engineering
- Letters to Steve: Inside the E-mail Inbox of Apple's Steve Jobs
- Virtual Peer Review: Teaching and Learning About Writing in Online Environments
- Robust Technology with Analysis of Interference in Signal Processing
Additional resources for 2012: Decoding the Countercultural Apocalypse
Bandelier, from the Spanish version of Carlos de Bustamante; Nashville, TN: Fisk University Press, 1932 [reprinted by Blaine Etheridge Books, Detroit, 1971]). Schele, Linda, and Nikolai Grube, Notebook for the XXIst Maya Hieroglyphic Workshop, March 8-9,1997 (Austin, TX: University of Texas, 1997). , 1993). Schellhas, Paul, “Representation of Deities of the Maya Manuscripts,” Peabody Museum Papers (1904). Stuart, David, and George Stuart, Palenque, Eternal City of the Maya (New York: Thames & Hudson, 2008).
For example, the ancient Maya had no Bible. Like the Classical Greeks and Romans, they were neither wedded to, nor confined by, a sacred scripture-from-on-high. They regarded their myths much less rigorously than we do, and freely improvised variations, inversions, even satires of their gods and myths (again, like the Greeks and Romans). They would never have experienced the kind of outrage and fatwa reaction we have witnessed recently, to a Danish newspaper that printed cartoons featuring Muhammad, or to the popular Da Vinci Code’s “heretical” notion that Christ married and bore children.
Those who are less credulous may find John Jenkins’ writings on the subject to be convincing without recognising their non-conclusive nature. With the developing contacts between Maya and the outside world arising from New Age tourism, globalisation, and Maya immigration to the United States, awareness of the 2012 solstice date is already increasing rapidly among contemporary Maya as well. Already, mention of the date has become more 2 The 2012 Phenomenon 21 frequent in the regional media. Since the 2012 date has real connections to the Long Count calendar, it may merit special attention from those in the Maya cultural revitalisation movement attempting to resuscitate key components of their heritage.