By With an introd. by Martin Gardner
Read Online or Download The Japanese abacus explained PDF
Best mathematics_1 books
Sous le nom d'intégrale se cache une idée uncomplicated, belle et puissante, qui a mis plusieurs siècles pour arriver à maturité. remark calculer l'aire d'une sector délimitée par une courbe?
Le génial Archimède découpe los angeles floor à mesurer en objets géométriques élémentaires, puis procède par encadrements successifs.
C'est le element de départ d'une théorie qui se précisera au fil des siècles. Newton et Leibniz s'emparent de los angeles query et leur petite guerre débouchera sur los angeles fondation du calcul intégral. Grâce à eux, l'analyse se met au provider de l. a. géométrie. l. a. laptop est lancée et ne s'arrêtera plus. Le XIXe siècle sera celui de l'utilisation du calcul intégral dans toutes les branches de l. a. body et des progrès de l. a. théorie, notamment avec Riemann. Elle débouche aujourd'hui sur des extensions permanentes.
C'est cette histoire, accompagnée d'explications théoriques détaillées, que raconte cet ouvrage.
- Directions in Partial Differential Equations. Proceedings of a Symposium Conducted by the Mathematics Research Center, the University of Wisconsin–Madison, October 28–30, 1985
- Four Lectures on Mathematics
- Finanz- und Versicherungs-mathematik
- Commentationes Mathematicae
- A User's Guide to Operator Algebras (Wiley-Interscience and Canadian Mathematics Series of Monographs and Texts)
- Robustness in Statistics
Additional resources for The Japanese abacus explained
Strange to relate, each of the five players lost on his own deal, and when the round was over all players held the same number of chips. How many chips were held by each player just before the last round? 53. JOHNNY'S INCOME TAX. "Mr. " asked Johnny, the office boy. "Sure thing," was the reply. " "Any income from other sources? Odd jobs on the side? Did you take in washing . " "Do you claim any deductions? Any capital losses? " "And you have a receipt for it, don't you? Okay, you can claim that as an exemption.
66. THE CAMPER AND THE BOTTLE. At 17 minutes past one on a Sunday afternoon a camper embarked in his canoe and commenced to paddle upstream at the rate of 4 miles per hour against a current of 1 Yi miles per hour. At 5 minutes past two o'clock he drew abreast of a corked bottle floating in the stream. Deciding against stopping to examine it, he continued on his way, only to be overcome presently by curiosity. He turned around, paddled back, and caught up with the bottle just as it reached his camp.
On one occasion, high hand made a bet comprising 2 coins. Each of the other players stayed without raising. The second hand put 3 coins into the pool. Third hand put in 2 coins and took out one in change. Fourth hand put in 3 coins and took out one in change. Fifth (last) hand put in one coin, then took in change all but 3 of the coins then in the pool. How much did first hand bet? 58. THE HOSKINS FAMILY. The Hoskins family is a wellregulated household. When it turned out en masse to pick blueberries last fall, a separate quota was assigned to the men, women, and children.